These little gems are all Southern! Pecans coated in a sugar-Jack Daniels glaze are brilliantly balanced by the subtle spice of ground cinnamon. Enjoy as a crushed dessert topping, or simply eat them plain. Your choice, but watch out they can be addictive!
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons bourbon or Tennessee Whiskey (aka Jack Daniels)
- 1 pound pecan halves
- ½ cup white, granulated sugar
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground mace
- ¼ teaspoon grated nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease one baking sheet, or line with parchament paper.
- In a mixing bowl, whip together the egg white, vanilla, bourbon, salt, and honey until frothy. In a separate bowl, mix together sugar, and spices (for extra spicy candied pecans add 1/8 teaspoon cayenne powder and 1/8 teaspoon chipotle powder)
- Add pecans to egg white mixture and stir to coat the nuts evenly. Remove the nuts from the egg white mixture, leaving as much of the liquid as possible. Toss the pecans in the sugar mixture until well coated. Spread the nuts evenly on the prepared baking sheet (I find using a silicon baking matt works exceedingly well).
- Bake for 1.25 hours. Stir every 25 minutes.