Sunday, October 7, 2012

My First Solo Batch of Home Brew - Part 1

To even the most casual observer, my love for beer should be pretty apparent.  I love the way it tastes.  I savor how its carbonation dances across your palate and tickles your tongue.  I admire the craft and artistry used to produce a "good beer."  I even admire the odor that pours from every brewery in America, even though most would probably describe it as funky at best and downright disgusting at worst. 

I really like beer. 


In the past, I've assisted with the production of homemade beer but only as part of a large group.  The experience was fun and the end result was decent, but the beer was watery and could only muster a somewhat mild, underdeveloped flavor. 

The "first brewing experience" (note my 'hipster beard' on the left)
A few weeks ago I was watching a marathon of Alton Brown's mangnum opus, "Good Eats," while walking on the treadmill.  Now being a regular foody and frequent view of both the FoodNetwork and the Cooking Channel, I've seen almost every episode of "Good Eats."  But this particular evening, I was fortunate enough to catch a rerun of Alton's beer episode. 

Alton Brown, the host of "Good Eats"
It was in that moment that I had a culinary epiphany.  In the past, I brewed beer simply because that's what my friends were doing.  I didn't appreciate the sheer artistry of its creation, or the majesty of its perfection.  I was doing what the masses were doing without realizing why...  I had become a douchey hipster.


Fast forward a couple of years.  My growing appreciation for food and its cultural heritage, has also seeped over into my increasing admiration for beer and its history. 

I was ready to make my triumphant return to home brewing.  So after a quick trip to www.northernbrewer.com and dropping a few hundred dollars, I was ready to brew again.  A few days later, I arrived home to the contents of a small UPS truck piled in front of my apartment door.

My own personal UPS truck delivery
End, Part 1.

Eat good food.  Drink good beer.  And above all, stay classy!

2 comments:

  1. Nice read... Might I ask where the glass is from in the 1st picture next to the Avery bomber?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks SMO. The glass is 12 oz. pour of the ESB from the Old Black Bear Brewery. The photo was taken at the Nook Tavern in Huntsville, Ala. The glass is one their standard serving pieces.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!